Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My New Kobo

I bought a Kobo eReader about three weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it.  It is wireless, easy to use and I got it on sale!  The computer interface is easy and downloading books is quick.  It is light and easy to hold.  There are a number of covers designed for it that are relatively inexpensive.  I am not sure how long the battery life is before requiring a charge, but I have been using it quite a bit since I purchased it and the battery is down by about half.  Perhaps the biggest and most surprising feature became apparent when I was sitting in the brilliant sunshine on Sunday afternoon reading one of the 100 preloaded classic books. The text was perfectly clear with no glare! 

There are a couple of things that take a bit of getting used to though and both relate to speed.  I think the speed at which computers work has spoiled us.  At least it has spoiled me.  There is a slightly annoying hesitation when the page turns on the Kobo.  It may be a fraction of a second, but it is there. That can be overcome by clicking to turn the page just before finishing the last sentence.  There is an even longer hesitation when changing from one chapter to the next.  In fact, pretty much any action you do with the Kobo, with the exception of downloading, requires a bit of patience.  If you want things to happen at a lightning fast pace, perhaps you should consider a much more expensive tablet computer.

I find that the pros far outweigh the cons and, if you are looking for an eReader, I would recommend the Kobo.  I am even wading through one of the classics, Moby Dick.  I am finding it to be a slow read, but that is just personal taste.  I have downloaded a Tom Clancy novel that is waiting for me when I finally finish with the whale.  I am enjoying the eReader, but many of the classics may just have to remain unread.

No comments:

Post a Comment