Monday, October 25, 2010

Self Publishing

I have been reading "The Fine Print of Self Publishing" by Mark Levine. In his book, he assesses 45 self publishing companies and some of the results came as a surprise to me. In fact, two that I was considering finished in the "OK" and "Avoid" category respectively.

He assesses the companies based on nine qualities of a good self publishing company and it is an eye-opener. One of the things I am looking for, because I am in Canada and don't want to pay outrageous shipping and customs duty costs, is the company's policy with respect to returning the original production files. If I can print my copies for personal use or resale in Canada, it will save me a lot of money. Some companies actually ask you to pay for the return of your own original production files!

If you are considering self publishing, I would definitely recommend this book. I have no vested interest in recommending it, other than I think it will help me make a decision. Like everything else, you have to apply your own criteria and common sense but the book is certainly helping me with that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment